Monday, September 16, 2013

From Land's End to John O' Groats

I have always wanted to walk this iconic route, stretching diagonally across the UK mainland, from Land's End in the south west corner of England, to John O' Groats in the north east corner of Scotland. Quite a few years ago I read this blog and book by Mark Moxon and it inspired me to plan such a walk myself.

This equates to a route of about 850 miles, which for someone with my level of fitness, would equate to about ten weeks of walking. I would therefore have to take about 12 weeks off work, and either carry a significant amount of gear for camping, or set aside a budget of about £5000 for meals and B&B stays (ignoring for now the logistics of finding rooms on my route) - for these reasons, I never got around to it.

Over the past ten months, I have been using a Fitbit One to track and improve my daily exercise levels, and just noticed that in that time I have walked more than the distance from Land's End to John O' Groats - about 1320 miles at the last count. This got me thinking - by combining Google Street View, Google maps and my daily stats from fitbit, I could map the real daily distances I walk (to and from work, shopping, weekend walks etc.) onto a virtual walk across the length of the UK.

For the sake of entertainment, I will blog my progress using screen captures from Google and any background information I can find regarding the areas I "pass through". Perhaps from time to time I'll be able to walk some sections for real.

I hope you enjoy the journey!

Chris

 

No comments:

Post a Comment